When you first begin a pottery class you must be introduced to the basic handbuilding techniques BEFORE you can even think of touching the wheel.
My second piece to create was the coil. I came to class with a really great idea of building a large coil vase, smoothing it out and glazing it with something fabulous. Well, have YOU ever tried to roll out piece of clay in a smooth even coil. LONG enough and all the same size to create a LARGE pot!! I quickly realized that I needed another project.
I remembered Patty telling me that the clay would speak to me… She was right, it was screaming “EMPTY NEST, EMPTY NEST!!” So that is what I made. I created a coil nest and then began the very lengthy process of adding twigs. (MORE COILS!) When I finally finished I added a tiny pinch pot broken egg and a feather. Very symbolic. I felt like an artist again….
- Night Hiking, The Tower of Death and the Eternal Trail
- Day Two: Redemption, Big Creek Trail and GSMNP Fitness
- Girls Gone Wild…SB2014
- 26 Years and Still Getting Lost Together……
- Tray Gap to Dicks Creek Gap and Type Two Fun…
- Up the Hill, Bears and Tomatoes……..Oh MY!
- Behind the curtain…..
- Carvers Gap Part Deux: Big Hump, Wild Steer, Busted Humps, Doll Flats and HOME
- Carvers Gap and Who Lost Shemeah?
- Inspiring Aging or How I Want to Be When I Grow Up…
- It May be Hot, but the Trail Still Calls….
- My Big Thoughts on Back to School
- Smoky Mountain Backpacking Trip
- Backpacking with the Bieber…
- Pine Log Creek Trail….has it ALL!
- Overnighter on the Chattooga….aka Hades
- Inaugural Hammock Trip: Kimsey Creek, White Oak Stamp, Muskrat Creek, Raven Rock Trail and an aborted trip to Standing Indian…
- Spontaneous Spring Break
- What’s in Your Pocket? And other tales from a sunny Sunday