The day had finally come. It was time to take our daughter to college. All of the events of the Class of 2008 had ended. The ball games, pep rallies, Prom, Graduation, the summer trip to New York. The shopping and endless paperwork was done.
We loaded down a van and my Rav and headed South on I-75 for 4 hours to Valdosta, Georgia home of the Valdosta State Blazers and future home of my daughter, Alyssa.
So many thoughts ran through my mind during the drive. What had I failed to tell her? Would she remember everything that I did tell her?! Would she be lonely, scared or love it so much that I would never see her again? It was a wonderful ride full of funny stories and future dreams. I will cherish those four hours forever.
Next morning bright and early we headed to Hopper Hall to join the other Freshman for MOVE IN!!
It looked just like the movies, girls with piles of objects on the curb and fathers hauling mini refrigerators and boxes up the stairs.
Okay is it a DORM or a SPA!!
Soon we were busy at work setting up her adorable room in all things hot pink and lime green.
Her roomie Anna arrived with her family and the fun began!!
and we were all having a great time until I realized, everything was put together, unpacked, stored and she was good to go.
It was time for me to leave. Even though I had a hard time breathing, I sucked it up like a good mom and let David lead me out the door… through the rain… to the car…..Bless his heart, I couldn’t really talk on the way home. Just intermittently cried and let the memories of 18 plus years run through my head and heart….
I’ve said it once and I will say it again. Being a parent is not for sissy’s………
PS If you want to see the whole trip click here.
- Night Hiking, The Tower of Death and the Eternal Trail
- Day Two: Redemption, Big Creek Trail and GSMNP Fitness
- Girls Gone Wild…SB2014
- 26 Years and Still Getting Lost Together……
- Tray Gap to Dicks Creek Gap and Type Two Fun…
- Up the Hill, Bears and Tomatoes……..Oh MY!
- Behind the curtain…..
- Carvers Gap Part Deux: Big Hump, Wild Steer, Busted Humps, Doll Flats and HOME
- Carvers Gap and Who Lost Shemeah?
- Inspiring Aging or How I Want to Be When I Grow Up…
- It May be Hot, but the Trail Still Calls….
- My Big Thoughts on Back to School
- Smoky Mountain Backpacking Trip
- Backpacking with the Bieber…
- Pine Log Creek Trail….has it ALL!
- Overnighter on the Chattooga….aka Hades
- Inaugural Hammock Trip: Kimsey Creek, White Oak Stamp, Muskrat Creek, Raven Rock Trail and an aborted trip to Standing Indian…
- Spontaneous Spring Break
- What’s in Your Pocket? And other tales from a sunny Sunday